General Manager - Solicitor
|The Brunel Building, Heuston South Quarter Dublin 8.||Salary: See Description for Details|
|Closing Date: 12/08/2019||Recruitment start: 18/07/2019|
The Child and Family Agency was established on 1st January 2014 and is responsible for improving wellbeing and outcomes for children. It represents the most comprehensive reform of services for the development, welfare and protection of children and the support of families ever undertaken in Ireland. It is an ambitious move which brings together some 4,000 staff who were previously employed within Children and Family Services of the Health Service Executive, the National Educational Welfare Board and the Family Support Agency.
The Child and Family Agency has responsibility for the following range of services:
- Child Welfare and Protection Services, including family support services
- Family Resource Centres and associated national programmes
- Early years (pre-school) Inspection Services
- Educational Welfare responsibilities including School completion programmes and Home School Liaison
- Domestic, sexual and gender based violence services
- Services related to the psychological welfare of children
- Adoption & Alternative Care
Further information is available on www.tusla.ie
This post holder will work closely with Tusla staff and partners to develop preventative and family support services to ensure the active participation of children, young people, families and other statutory and non-statutory services.
Principal duties of the post:
To provide expert professional advice to the CEO, Senior Management Team, the Board, Service Directors, Area Managers and Tusla staff
- To promote a high standard of legal excellence in the Child and Family Agency
- Manage and Run District Court applications in the Dublin area
- Provide advices in the area of Child Care Law and Constitutional Law to Tusla staff
- Managing Circuit and High Court cases with supervision by the Head of Legal Service/Senior Solicitors within the Legal office
- Contribute to the Office Knowledge Management system within the in-house legal office
- Provide Legal Training to staff within Tusla
Leadership and development:
- Coordinate and lead junior members of staff within the wider legal team
- Promote a positive work ethic within the team
- To lead, manage, organise and motivate staff to function effectively in a changing environment
Communications and Stakeholder Management
- Demonstrate pro-active commitment to all communications with internal and external stakeholders
- Develop strong working relationship with key stakeholders
Education & Training
- Maintain standards of practice and levels of professional knowledge by participating in continuous professional development initiatives and attendance at courses as appropriate.
- Engage in career and professional development planning.
- Oversee the provision of a framework for the promotion of staff development and training by making recommendations with regard to the ongoing education, mentoring, training and in-service needs of the team
Health & Safety
- Comply with and contribute to the development of policies, procedures, guidelines and safe professional practice and adhere to relevant legislation, regulations and standards.
- Have a working knowledge of the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards as they apply to the service for example National Standards for Child Protection and Care and comply with associated Tusla – Child and Family Agency protocols for implementing and maintaining these standards as appropriate to the role.
- To support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service.
The precise role and responsibilities of this post are developing in the context of evolving structures within Child and Family Agency Legal & Corporate Services, and the Head of Legal Services, will assist in finalising and implementing new arrangements.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Please refer to the Candidate Information pack attached to this campaign for full and further detail.
Applicants must by the closing date of application have the following
- Have been enrolled as a solicitor in the state for at least 5 years
- Have experience in Child Care Law and District Court Advocacy
- Have a track record in a legal advisory role with experience of conducting a wide range of substantial cases involving complex issues.
- Have experience in Circuit and High Court matters
A candidate for and any person holding the office must be fully competent and capable of undertaking the duties attached to the office and be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
Each candidate for and any person holding the office must be of good character
Age restrictions shall only apply to a candidate where he/she is not classified as a new entrant within the meaning of the Public Services Superannuation Act, 2004). A candidate who is not classified as a new entrant must be under 65 years of age.
Already a member of our Talent Pool? Login here to Apply
Join our Talent Pool + submit your application