Deputy Social Care Manager Special Care, Ballydowd and Crannog Nua
|Ballydowd Special Care Service, Palmerstown, Co Dublin and Crannog Nua, Special Care, Portrane, Co. Dublin.||Salary: See Description for Details|
|Closing Date: 07/10/2019||Recruitment start: 12/09/2019|
The Child and Family Agency was established on 1st January 2014 and is responsible for improving wellbeing and outcomes for children. It represents the most comprehensive reform of services for the development, welfare and protection of children and the support of families ever undertaken in Ireland. It is an ambitious move which brings together some 4,000 staff who were previously employed within Children and Family Services of the Health Service Executive, the National Educational Welfare Board and the Family Support Agency.
The Child and Family Agency has responsibility for the following range of services:
- Child Welfare and Protection Services, including family support services
- Family Resource Centres and associated national programmes
- Early years (pre-school) Inspection Services
- Educational Welfare responsibilities including School completion programmes and Home School Liaison
- Domestic, sexual and gender based violence services
- Services related to the psychological welfare of children
Further information is available on www.tusla.ie
Post Specific Service:
The policy of the Child and Family Agency to enable children to live with their own families wherever possible and to support parents where necessary in fulfilling that role. In circumstances where this is not possible, Residential Care incl. Special Care remains a valuable option for children who cannot be cared for at home.
Purpose of the post:
To work as part of a team to provide a safe, caring environment for resident young people with the primary aim of providing the intervention necessary to address the issues that are preventing them from living at home, in foster care or in Community Based Centres in the case of Special Care Interventions.
To do so up to a point to be determined by their age, need or development, whereby circumstances are such that it becomes more feasible to help prepare them to live independently with the support of our aftercare services.
Main Duties: To undertake any of the following duties as assigned by the Social Care Manager:
- To create and maintain a safe, caring and stable environment for the young people placed in the centre
- To manage the centre in accordance with Child and Family Agency policies, guidelines and protocols and with the regulations made by the Minister for Health and Children under the Child Care Act 1991 and other relevant legislation.
- To ensure that Care and Placement Plans are in place, agreed, implemented and monitored regularly in respect of every young person placed in the centre.
- To promote the rights and responsibilities of each young person in the centre.
- To comply with the Child and Family Agency Admissions and Discharge Policy.
- To participate in on-going planning and strategic development of Child and Family Agency Children’s Residential Centres.
- To ensure the appropriate use of resources within the centre.
- To consult with young people placed in the centre, their families, centre staff and external stakeholders as appropriate.
- To provide such reports, statistics to the Social Care Manager (or other specified person) as required.
- To ensure that the maintenance and upkeep of the centre, its furniture, vehicle and equipment.
- To adhere to Fire Safety Requirements as specified by the local fire safety authority and the Child and Family Agency Fire Safety Officer.
- To ensure compliance in the unit with the provisions of the Health, Safety and Welfare at Work Act, (1989) and other relevant legislation.
- To provide an on call service for the centre and / or for the Child and Family Agency Children’s Residential Centres on a rota basis.
- Such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Social Care Manager (or other specified person) to include working shifts where rostered staff are not available.
- To engage in age-appropriate play and other activities with each child/young person within the centre as required.
- To engage in physical intervention where this is in keeping with local policies and procedures as required.
2. Financial Management:
- To manage the budget for the centre, in compliance with approved budgetary procedures, and to ensure that optimum benefit is achieved from available resources.
- To ensure that expenditure in the centre is controlled within agreed cash limits and in compliance with approved procedures.
- To maintain such records as are required by the Child and Family Agency, or the Minister for Children to ensure that such records are at all times available for inspection by an authorised officer.
- To ensure that appropriate financial information for the unit is provided to the Social Care Manager (or other specified person)
3. Staff Management:
- To manage and supervise staff in the centre.
- To arrange the duty roster and manage the designated staff resources, ensuring that staff levels and skill mix are appropriate and within the resource allocation.
- To identify in consultation with the Social Care Manager the training and development requirements for the centre.
- To maintain staff records within guidelines laid down by the Child and Family Agency and the Department of Children.
- To participate in relevant professional development and training programmes.
- To attend and participate fully in professional supervision with Social Care Manager.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Please refer to the Candidate Information pack attached to this campaign for full and further detail.
At date of closing the applicant must have the following:
Possess the National Diploma in Childcare awarded by Quality & Qualifications Ireland, (QQI) (Dearbhu Cailiochta agus Cailiochtai Eireann) (formely HETAC)/DIT.
Possess the National Diploma in Applied Social Care Studies awarded by Quality & Qualifications Ireland, (QQI) (Dearbhu Cailiochta agus Cailiochtai Eireann), (formerly HETAC)/DIT.
Possess the Diploma in Social Care awarded by Quality & Qualifications Ireland, (QQI) (Dearbhu Cailiochta agus Cailiochtai Eireann) (formerly HETAC)/DIT.
Possess the Diploma in Applied Social Studies/Social Care from DIT.
Possess a BA (Ord) in Social Care Practice (level 7 on the QQI framework).
Possess Open Training College National Diploma in Applied Social Studies (Disability).
Possess an equivalent qualification
A minimum of 3 years’ experience of working in a Social Care Grade in a Children’s Residential Centre as relevant to the role.
The requisite knowledge and ability (including a high standard of suitability and ability)
for the proper discharge of the duties of the office.
A candidate for and any person holding the office must be fully competent and capable of undertaking the duties attached to the office and be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
Each candidate for and any person holding the office must be of good character
Age restrictions shall only apply to a candidate where he/she is not classified as a new entrant within the meaning of the Public Services Superannuation Act, 2004). A candidate who is not classified as a new entrant must be under 65 years of age.
Candidate Info Pack - Deputy SCM.pdf
Already a member of our Talent Pool? Login here to Apply
Join our Talent Pool + submit your application