Social Care Leader – Special Care
|Panels will be formed to fill vacancies in the Tusla Special Care Units: • Crannog Nua, Special Care Services, Portrane, Co. Dublin • Ballydowd Special Care Unit, Ballyowen, Palmerstown, Co. Dublin • Coovagh House Special Care Unit, Grounds of St. Joseph's Hospital, Mulgrave St., Limerick|
|Salary: See Description for Details|
|Closing Date: 20/07/2020||Closing Time: 12:00|
|Recruitment start: 25/06/2020|
The Child and Family Agency was established on 1st January 2014 and is responsible for improving wellbeing and outcomes for children. It represents the most comprehensive reform of services for the development, welfare and protection of children and the support of families ever undertaken in Ireland. It is an ambitious move which brings together some 4,000 staff who were previously employed within Children and Family Services of the Health Service Executive, the National Educational Welfare Board and the Family Support Agency.
The Child and Family Agency has responsibility for the following range of services:
- Child Welfare and Protection Services, including family support services
- Family Resource Centres and associated national programmes
- Early years (pre-school) Inspection Services
- Educational Welfare responsibilities including School completion programmes and Home School Liaison
- Domestic, sexual and gender based violence services
- Services related to the psychological welfare of children
- Adoption & Alternative Care
Further information is available on www.tusla.ie
Purpose of Role:
To work as part of a team to provide a safe, caring environment for resident young people with the primary aim of providing the intervention necessary to address the issues that are preventing them from living at home, in foster care or in Community Based Centres in the case of Special Care Interventions.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Working with Children
· To participate in the development and implementation of Care and Placement Plans and to ensure appropriate recording of same.
· To promote the rights and responsibilities of each child/young person within the centre.
· To promote physical, emotional, social and religious welfare of each young person in care.
· To encourage attendance at school, training centres, medical and clinical appointments.
· To be responsible for the organisation of personal documents, arrangements, information and finance on behalf of the young person.
· To liaise with the parent, family, general services and other agencies on behalf of the young person.
· To attend meetings in relation to the care and developments of the young person.
· To engage in age-appropriate play and other activities with each child/young person within the centre.
· To engage in physical intervention where this is in keeping with local policies and procedures.
· To prepare and provide, in conjunction with the young people, well balanced meals of high quality.
· To undertake various aspects of home management including the household budget, upkeep and cleaning.
Administration and Accountability
· To attend team meetings and to report to the Social Care Manager on matters affecting the delivery of service.
· To be accountable for any money spent on behalf of the Child and Family Agency during the course of duty.
· To make written and verbal reports to the Social Care Manager on a regular basis on the progress of development of the young person.
· Reporting and recording any incidents, however minor, that may happen to the young person or are caused by them.
· To be familiar with emergency procedures and to know who to contact in an emergency.
· To work as a member of a team.
· To keep abreast of current legislation and current professional child care knowledge.
· To implement the Child and Family Agency’s procedures and policies.
· To undertake ongoing professional training and development.
· To attend regular supervision with the Deputy Social Care Manager or Social Care Manager (to be determined by the management structure in the Centre)
· To supervise Social Care Workers and / or students as appropriate / required under the direction of the Deputy Social Care Manager or Social Care Manager (to be determined by the management structure in the Centre)
· To prepare reports for and to participate in professional meetings including case conferences and strategy meetings ensuring that all records relating to those meetings are maintained to a high standard as appropriate / required under the direction of the Deputy Social Care Manager or Social Care Manager (to be determined by the management structure in the Centre).
· To be responsible for decision making when on shift and in the absence of the Deputy Social Care Manager or Social Care Manager as appropriate, which will include accepting overall responsibility for the residential centre
· To provide cover for the Deputy Social Care Manager or Social Care Manager (to be determined by the management structure in the Centre) in his/her absence as appropriate / required under the direction of the Social Care Manager.
· To perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- To work live nights
- To be part of a team that provides oncall to the centre
Health & Safety
- Comply with and contribute to the development of policies, procedures, guidelines and safe professional practice and adhere to relevant legislation, regulations and standards.
- Have a working knowledge of the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards as they apply to the service for example National Standards for Child Protection and Care and comply with associated Tusla – Child and Family Agency protocols for implementing and maintaining these standards as appropriate to the role.
- To support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Please refer to the Candidate Information pack attached to this campaign for full and further detail.
Applicants must by the closing date of application have the following: Candidates must, on the latest date for receiving completed application forms for the office:
Ordinary Bachelor's Degree in Childcare awarded by a recognised body (Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications) or the National Diploma in Childcare awarded by HETAC / DIT.
Ordinary Bachelor’s Degree in Applied Social Care Studies awarded by a recognised body (Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications) or the National Diploma in Applied Social Care Studies awarded by HETAC / DIT.
Ordinary Bachelor’s Degree in Social Care awarded by a recognised body (Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications) or the Diploma in Social Care awarded by HETAC / DIT.
Diploma in Applied Social Studies / Social Care from DIT.
Ordinary Bachelor's Degree in Social Care Practice awarded by a recognised body (Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications).
Ordinary Bachelor's Degree in Applied Social Studies (Disabilities) awarded by a recognised body (Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications) or the National Diploma in Applied Social Studies (Disabilities), The Open Training College (HETAC Accredited).
an equivalent social care qualification from another jurisdiction. and
a suitable standard of professional attainments.
the requisite knowledge and ability (including a high standard of suitability and ability) for the proper discharge of the duties of office.
have a minimum of three years’ experience of working in a Children & Families Service or other relevant environment with a similarly challenging client group.
A candidate for and any person holding the office must be fully competent and capable of undertaking the duties attached to the office and be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
Each candidate for and any person holding the office must be of good character
Already a member of our Talent Pool? Login here to Apply
Join our Talent Pool + submit your application