Database Administrator - Grade VII **Extended Closing Date**
|Salary: See Description for Details|
|Closing Date: 01/03/2021||Closing Time: 12:00|
|Recruitment start: 28/01/2021|
The Child and Family Agency was established on 1st January 2014 and is responsible for improving wellbeing and outcomes for children. It represents the most comprehensive reform of services for the development, welfare and protection of children and the support of families ever undertaken in Ireland. It is an ambitious move which brings together some 4,000 staff who were previously employed within Children and Family Services of the Health Service Executive, the National Educational Welfare Board and the Family Support Agency.
The Child and Family Agency has responsibility for the following range of services:
- Child Welfare and Protection Services, including family support services
- Family Resource Centres and associated national programmes
- Early years (pre-school) Inspection Services
- Educational Welfare responsibilities including School completion programmes and Home School Liaison
- Domestic, sexual and gender based violence services
- Services related to the psychological welfare of children
- Adoption & Alternative Care
Further information is available on www.tusla.ie
About Tulsa ICT
Tusla has one of the largest ICT networks in the Public Service with almost 5,000 users in over 300 locations. Over the last 2 years Tusla has progressed a digital transformation programme and built a highly skilled technical team delivering ICT innovation, solutions and service to support the delivery of child and family services. The ICT team are responsible for delivering the following core functions:
- Applications: Developing innovative applications that support the work of Tusla and assist staff in maximising the use of technology to work efficiently and effectively;
- Infrastructure: Developing and maintaining a technical infrastructure that is secure, highly available and fit for use.
- Data: implementing data management best practice across all areas of Tusla’s services and providing data analytics capabilities for evidence based planning, policy development and programme evaluation.
- Service Delivery: Enabling Tusla ICT to become self-sufficient in the delivery of ICT services to users. The unit has established a quality-driven function providing the following services: ICT request fulfilment, helpdesk support, change management, incident management and problem management.
- Service Strategy and Design: Responsible for Strategy Management, Business Relationship Management, Service Portfolio Management, Financial Management, Risk Management, Information Security Management, Service Continuity Management and Compliance Management.
- Practice and Regional: Managing the ICT engagement with social work, social care and family support teams. Providing the practice expertise to inform design of ICT systems and services. Liaising and co-ordinating the delivery of ICT initiatives across Tusla’s four regions.
The Database Administrator is responsible for managing and supporting a large number of Microsoft SQL Server databases, primarily these databases are on premise, but also cloud based.
The role requires an experienced database administrator with exceptional technical skillset in the areas of database design, database maintenance, integration services, reporting services and data visualisation in a Microsoft SQL Server environments.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Key Duties and Responsibilities
This role is primarily technical in nature and requires an in-depth practical knowledge of database design, development, management, integration and analytics\reporting in a Microsoft SQL Server environment. The duties and responsibilities will include:
This project work will include:
- Database design and maintenance, including developing backend databases to support web applications and the management of database availability, performance, capacity for all Tusla environments.
- Ongoing administration of database objects: indexes, tables, views, constraints, sequences snapshots and stored procedures; page locks – to achieve optimum utilization of technology
- Configuring and managing database backups
- Configuring and managing high availability, resilience and replication of databases
- Configuring and managing security and encryption of servers and databases
- Contract and vendor management of 3rd party suppliers
- Designing and implementing database alerts standard operating procedures and event management.
- Creation and maintenance of database standards and policies
- Managing SQL Server Reporting Services and developing reports using Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Developing SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) packages.
- Supporting the development of a data warehouse solution for all Tusla datasets
- Contribute to researching emerging data related technologies and progress innovation.
Relationship Management and Collaboration
- Work as part of an agile software development team in delivering the database components of web applications, mobile and other solutions being developed by Tusla ICT
- Work in collaboration with the ICT Service Delivery team as required to support data related tier 3 issues, incident management and problem management.
- If applicable, to train, supervise and evaluate staff in their respective roles on the data team.
- If applicable, ensuring that the appropriate performance management frameworks are implemented for any assigned staff.
Health & Safety
- Comply with and contribute to the development of policies, procedures, guidelines and safe professional practice and adhere to relevant legislation, regulations and standards.
- Have a working knowledge of the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards as they apply to the service for example National Standards for Child Protection and Care and comply with associated Tusla – Child and Family Agency protocols for implementing and maintaining these standards as appropriate to the role.
- To support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Applicants must by the closing date of application have the following:
- Have a third level qualification in Data Science, ICT, Computer Science, Engineering or a related discipline or a relevant professional database qualification (e.g. Microsoft Certified Database Administrator –MCDBA)
- Have a minimum 5 years’ experience in a data related ICT role.
- Have excellent hands on technical experience of database design, maintenance, integration, analysis and reporting.
- Have the requisite knowledge and ability for the proper discharge of the duties of the office.
A candidate for and any person holding the office must be fully competent and capable of undertaking the duties attached to the office and be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
Each candidate for and any person holding the office must be of good character
Already a member of our Talent Pool? Login here to Apply
Join our Talent Pool + submit your application