Senior Communications Officer (Grade VII)
|Tusla Corporate Office, Brunel Building, Heuston South Quarter, Dublin 8 or other designated Tusla work location|
|Salary: See Description for Details|
|Closing Date: 20/09/2021||Closing Time: 12:00|
|Recruitment start: 26/08/2021|
The Child and Family Agency was established on 1st January 2014 and is responsible for improving wellbeing and outcomes for children. It represents the most comprehensive reform of services for the development, welfare and protection of children and the support of families ever undertaken in Ireland. It is an ambitious move which brings together some 4,000 staff who were previously employed within Children and Family Services of the Health Service Executive, the National Educational Welfare Board and the Family Support Agency.
The Child and Family Agency has responsibility for the following range of services:
- Child Welfare and Protection Services, including family support services
- Family Resource Centres and associated national programmes
- Early years (pre-school) Inspection Services
- Educational Welfare responsibilities including School completion programmes and Home School Liaison
- Domestic, sexual and gender based violence services
- Services related to the psychological welfare of children
- Adoption & Alternative Care
Further information is available on www.tusla.ie
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The role entails a wide range of duties and responsibilities to include media relations, public relations, brand management, content generation for website and internal communications, production of literature and information materials, and event management.
It may also involve assignment to strategic projects as required.
Media Management including
- Media relationship management.
- Media monitoring and analysis.
- Ensuring all media queries are answered promptly and accurately.
- Issue management and crisis management.
- Preparing and issuing of response statements.
- Researching, writing, and distributing press releases to targeted media.
- Spokesperson identification, training, and briefing.
- Collating, analysing and ensuring up to date monitoring of media coverage.
- Assisting in planning, developing and implementation of positive messaging strategies
Brand Management including
- Proactive positive news generation and writing and editing articles for newsletter.
- Preparing and supervising the production of publicity brochures, handouts, etc.
- Preparing mail leaflets, promotional videos, photographs, films, and multimedia programmes as required.
- Providing a support/advisory service to relevant staff members on all communications issues.
- Using social media technology to communicate and reach target groups.
- Providing communications support and content for website and ensure website is up to date.
- Liaising on a regular (daily or as and when required) basis with multiple stakeholders.
Event Planning including
- Event support to directorates including launches and conferences.
- Proactively handling any arising issues and troubleshooting any emerging problems on the day of an event.
- Assisting Head of Communications or other colleagues on the Communications Team with the required promotions/public relations publicity for events.
- Ensuring compliance with insurance, legal and safety obligations
General Administrative Duties including
- Evaluating the impact of communications processes and projects.
- Assisting in the administration and day to day operation of the services.
- Effectively planning and managing resources, within budget.
- Ensuring that all information relating to clients, their families, staff colleagues etc be treated in accordance with the principles of confidentiality, data protection legislation and Freedom of Information.
Teamwork and Building and Maintaining Relations
- Sharing information with the wider team as appropriate.
- Being accountable for own work and that of others as appropriate.
- Working on own initiative as well as part of a wider team.
- Planning, prioritising, assigning, supervising, and reviewing the work of assigned staff and maintain all relative HR Records.
Education & Training
- Maintaining standards of practice and levels of professional knowledge by participating in continuous professional development initiatives and attendance at courses as appropriate.
- Engaging in career and professional development planning.
- Overseeing the provision of a framework for the promotion of staff development and training by making recommendations regarding the ongoing education, mentoring, training, and in-service needs of the team.
Health & Safety
- Comply with and contribute to the development of policies, procedures, guidelines and safe professional practice and adhere to relevant legislation, regulations and standards.
- Have a working knowledge of the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards as they apply to the service for example National Standards for Child Protection and Care and comply with associated Tusla – Child and Family Agency protocols for implementing and maintaining these standards as appropriate to the role.
- To support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Applicants must by the closing date of application have the following:
- Relevant third level qualification in Communications, Public Relations, Political Science, Marketing, or other related field, which demonstrates knowledge of creating, curating, and communicating quality content for internal engagement. (written/digital/filmed/imagery).
- At least three years’ experience in communications/ public relations/ journalism (to include experience of working with the media, communications planning, media coverage, crisis management, production of information/ promotional materials) as relevant to this post.
- Effective ICT Skills is essential and experience of working with graphic design packages(s) an advantage.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to include experience communicating ideas, vision, and information clearly to both internal and external audiences.
- Ability to manage multiple communications tasks with tight and/ or competing deadlines
A candidate for and any person holding the office must be fully competent and capable of undertaking the duties attached to the office and be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
Each candidate for and any person holding the office must be of good character
Already Registered? Log in here
Join our Talent Pool + submit your application