BI and Reporting Manager Grade VIII
|Nationwide. Tusla has large number of offices nationwide. This role can operate from the nearest Tusla office with available space.|
|Salary: See Description for Details|
|Closing Date: 13/12/2021||Closing Time: 12:00|
|Recruitment start: 18/11/2021|
The Child and Family Agency was established on 1st January 2014 and is responsible for a range of statutory functions including provision of child protection, alternative care, specified regulatory services and a range of family support services. The Agency has commenced a major improvement programme with significant focus on Practice, Culture and Structure.
The Agency currently has responsibility for a budget in excess of €800m and delivers its services through circa 5,000 people in 350 locations across the Country.
The Child and Family Agency has responsibility for the following range of services:
• Child Protection and Welfare
• Family Support
• Alternative Care
• Tusla Education Support Services (TESS)
• Domestic Sexual and General Based Violence (DSGBV)
• Children’s Service Regulation
• Counselling and Therapeutic Supports
About Tusla ICT
Tusla has one of the largest ICT networks in the Public Service with over 5,000 users in over 300 locations. Tulsa ICT have established a team of highly skilled technical and support professionals that are tasked with providing the innovation, systems and support required to assist Tusla in delivering its services and achieving its business and strategic objectives.
The ICT Directorate consists of 6 units:
• Applications team are responsible for developing innovative applications that support the work of Tusla and assist staff in maximising the use of technology to work efficiently and effectively.
• Infrastructure team manages the Tusla network, telephone systems, servers, storage and cloud services.
• Data team are responsible for improving the management of data held by Tusla in a secure, holistic and consistent manner that serves the data and information needs of all Tusla stakeholders.
• Service Delivery team provides users with the ICT devices, systems and support they require to efficiently perform their role. The Service Delivery unit is responsible for the ICT service desk, change management, incident management and problem management.
• Practice and Regional team work with social work, social care, family support and educational welfare teams to ensure ICT services and systems are aligned to practice requirements. The regional team are responsible for oversight and supporting the delivery of ICT service across Tusla’s 300 office locations.
• Service Strategy and Design team are responsible for Strategy Management, Business Relationship Management, Service Portfolio Management, Financial Management, Service Catalogue Management, Risk Management, Information Security Management, Service Continuity Management and Compliance Management.
Further information is available on www.tusla.ie
Purpose of Role:
A key goal of the Tusla Data Management Strategy is the implementation of enterprise Business Intelligence and reporting systems to support the decision making process in the Child and Family Agency and facilitate the adoption of a more evidence based approach towards policy and practice as well as operationally throughout the Agency.
Tusla are looking for a BI and Reporting Manager with extensive expertise and hands on experience in developing enterprise Business Intelligence and Reporting Solutions using Microsoft SQL server and Power BI technologies. The role will work as part of the Data team to support the work of Tusla and assist staff in maximising the use of data to work efficiently and effectively. The person will provide technical leadership in delivering on our data management strategy and the Business Intelligence pillar of this as well as providing leadership in areas of Master and Reference Data management, ETL solutions (SSIS) and the management of Business Intelligence pipelines.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Lead on all areas of activity in relation to the architecture, design, development, implementation, and support of the Tusla enterprise databases, BI and reporting systems
• Design logical and physical data models, focusing on key cross-application data objects across operational and corporate applications.
• Support the design of data migration process from legacy applications to maximise the quality, integrity and availability of relevant data.
• Review the data models of each key application in Tusla; confirm they are compatible with the enterprise data model and with appropriate data standards; and work with the data and applications teams to mitigate any inconsistencies or gaps.
• Lead on the development of the BI security and governance model
• Create streamlined and scalable integration solutions to support BI and analytics.
• Lead on the development of standards in relation to all stages of the BI process from development to implementation
• Design, develop, test, monitor, manage, and validate BI and reporting data, including data extraction, transformation, movement, loading, cleansing and updating processes.
• Work collaboratively with end users to translate business questions and requirements into applications that employ the appropriate reporting tools.
• Work collaboratively with other Reporting and Business Intelligence IT stakeholders to ensure overall health and performance of BI environment, including monitoring the performance, reliability, availability, and recoverability of the BI environment.
• Assist in the evaluation, selection, testing, and optimization of BI related hardware and software products.
• Provide input into the design of the architecture and design of the data warehouse project.
• Support the ICT Data and Analytics Manager in embedding a culture of continuous improvement in the Data Team by driving improvements to work processes, tools and techniques.
Managing & Delivering Results (Operational Excellence):
• Ensure that policies and procedures are aligned with best practice, are well documented and communicated to others.
• Ensure that assigned projects are managed in line with stated objectives and within specified budget and timelines.
• Implement agreed changes in a co-operative and supportive manner, finding innovative ways to deliver service improvements within resource limitations.
• Develop appropriate project methodologies and establish working practices that promote cross-functional team working.
• Work with other Directorates and Tusla Senior Managers in the implementation and roll-out of new developments, with a particular emphasis on consistency and alignment across the system and reference to best practice, outcome measures and value for money.
Teamwork, Leadership & Building and Maintaining Relations:
• Share information with the wider team as appropriate.
• Be accountable for own work and that of others as appropriate.
• Work on own initiative as well as part of a wider team.
• Co-operate and work in harmony with other teams and disciplines.
• Lead by example, motivate and encourage others, build team commitment.
• Deal with under performance in a timely and constructive manner.
Finance & Human Resources
• Monitor budgets and expenditure.
• Develop and support business cases for new resources etc.
• Support HR processes within the directorate.
Commitment to providing a quality service:
• Be flexible and adaptable in his / her approach to work, embrace change and adapt work practices accordingly.
• Promote and maintain a quality customer-focused environment.
• Monitor efficiency within own area of responsibility and take remedial action or notify supervisor as appropriate.
• Continuously seek to improve systems / processes.
Education & Training:
• Maintain standards of practice and levels of professional knowledge by participating in continuous professional development initiatives and attendance at courses as appropriate.
• Engage in career and professional development planning.
• Oversee the provision of a framework for the promotion of staff development and training by making recommendations with regard to the ongoing education, mentoring, training and in-service needs of the inspection and monitoring team.
• Pursue continuous professional development in order to develop professional knowledge and keep updated with current and relevant HR legislation.
• Provide training with the team and region to share knowledge of relevant HR Procedures/ Processes.
Health & Safety
• Comply with and contribute to the development of policies, procedures, guidelines and safe professional practice and adhere to relevant legislation, regulations and standards.
• Have a working knowledge of the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards as they apply to the service for example National Standards for Child Protection and Care and comply with associated Tusla – Child and Family Agency protocols for implementing and maintaining these standards as appropriate to the role.
• To support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the
development of the post while in office.
Applicants must by the closing date of application have the following:
• Have a third level qualification in ICT, Data, Computer Science or a related discipline.
• At least 5 years’ experience of working in a hands-on technical database related role (such as DBA, BI or similar) and have excellent technical expertise of Microsoft SQL Server Services including Analysis Services, Integration Services, SSRS and Power BI.
• At least 2 years’ experience of implementing enterprise Business Intelligence solutions from the planning and design stage to development and implementation. Including hands on experience of data modelling.
• Demonstrated knowledge of data architecture concepts, logical and physical data modelling methods.
• Have the requisite knowledge and ability (including a high standard of suitability and management ability) for the proper discharge of the duties of the office
A candidate for and any person holding the office must be fully competent and capable of undertaking the duties attached to the office and be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
Each candidate for and any person holding the office must be of good character.
Already Registered? Log in here
Join our Talent Pool + submit your application