Social Care Worker – Donegal
|Salary: See Description for Details|
|Closing Date: 07/02/2023||Closing Time: 12:00|
|Recruitment start: 19/01/2023|
The Child and Family Agency was established on 1st January 2014 and is responsible for a range of statutory functions including provision of child protection, alternative care, specified regulatory services and a range of family support services. The Agency has commenced a major improvement programme with significant focus on Practice, Culture and Structure.
The Agency currently has responsibility for a budget in excess of €800m and delivers its services through circa 5,000 people in 350 locations across the Country.
The Child and Family Agency has responsibility for the following range of services:
- Child Protection and Welfare
- Family Support
- Alternative Care
- Tusla Education Support Services (TESS)
- Domestic Sexual and Gender Based Violence (DSGBV)
- Children’s Service Regulation
- Counselling and Therapeutic Supports
Further information is available on www.tusla.ie
The policy of Tusla Child and Family Agency is to enable children / young people to live with their own families wherever possible and to support parents where necessary in fulfilling that role. The Social Care Worker will provide care, protection, and support to vulnerable or dependent clients, individually or in groups, in conjunction with the wider multidisciplinary team and other relevant agencies. The primary aim is to provide intervention necessary to address the child / young person’s issues or the issues that are preventing them from living at home or in relative / foster care. S/he will ensure the welfare of those under his/her care and will act as an advocate as appropriate.
Typically, Social Care Workers work across the following service areas:
Community: Social Care Workers in the community work in a therapeutic / preventative / direct role with children / young people and their families. They typically work as part of a multidisciplinary team and can be based in different service areas, for example, Child Protection Services, Child Welfare Service, Children in Care Service, Partnership Prevention and Family Support Services and Aftercare services. The children / young people involved may be at risk of or have experienced abuse, thus may be emotionally affected or display behaviour difficulties. These risks and / or difficulties may prevent them from being able to live with their families and as a result may need to be in the care of Tusla Child and Family Agency.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Working with Children/Young People/Families/Carers
- To participate in the development and implementation of Care Plans and to ensure appropriate recording of same.
- To promote the rights and responsibilities of each child/young person within the Service.
- Assist in enabling parents/guardians/carers/families to sustain the safe care of their children in the home setting.
- To promote physical, emotional, social and religious welfare of each young person.
- To liaise with the parent, family, general services and other agencies on behalf of the young person.
- To attend meetings in relation to the care and developments of the Children and their families
- To promote the participation of children and young people in decision making on issues that affect their lives at both individual and collective levels.
- Participate in the completion of preliminary screening and assessments, safety planning as required under Children’s First in line with standard business processes
- Compliance with relevant Tusla policies.
- Attendance at Court when required.
- Direct work with children/young people/parents/guardians/foster carers etc.
- Facilitating and supporting family contact for children care.
- Lone working
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders
Administration and Accountability:
- To attend team meetings and to report to the designated Manager on matters affecting the delivery of service.
- To make written and verbal reports to the designated Manager on a regular basis on the progress of development of the children and their families.
- Reporting and recording any incidents, however minor, that may happen to the / children and their families or are caused by them.
- To be familiar with emergency procedures and to know who to contact in an emergency.
- Ensure Child protection procedures are followed in accordance with the responsibilities of a designated officer.
- To keep abreast of current legislation and current professional childcare knowledge.
- To implement the Child and Family Agency’s procedures and policies.
- To undertake ongoing professional training and development.
- To attend regular supervision with the designated Manager.
- To perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Participate in working within a team centered consistent approach.
- Working with other professionals and external stakeholders
- Participate in regular team meetings, SOS groups, supervision.
- Provision of training to Service User, colleagues and external stakeholders
Training & Professional Development
- Participate in regular professional supervision.
- Participate in further training and development as required.
- Provide guidance and education for work experience students.
- Engage in reflective and evidence based practice.
- Keep abreast of current legislation and current professional childcare knowledge.
- Be responsible for own health and wellbeing in order to carry out the duties of the role / is committed to managing own work / life balance.
Health & Safety
- Comply with and contribute to the development of policies, procedures, guidelines and safe professional practice and adhere to relevant legislation, regulations and standards.
- Have a working knowledge of the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards as they apply to the service for example National Standards for Child Protection and Care and comply with associated Tusla – Child and Family Agency protocols for implementing and maintaining these standards as appropriate to the role.
- To support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Please refer to the Candidate Information pack attached to this campaign for full and further detail.
Applicants must by the closing date of application have the following:
Ordinary Bachelor’s Degree in Applied Social Care Studies awarded by a recognised body (Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications)
National Diploma in Applied Social Care Studies awarded by HETAC / IT
Ordinary Bachelor’s Degree in Social Care awarded by a recognised body (Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications)
Diploma in Social Care awarded by HETAC / IT
Diploma in Applied Social Studies / Social Care from IT
Ordinary Bachelor's Degree in Social Care Practice awarded by a recognised body (Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications)
Ordinary Bachelor's Degree in Applied Social Studies (Disabilities) awarded by a recognised body (Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications)
National Diploma in Applied Social Studies (Disabilities), The Open Training College (HETAC Accredited)
Ordinary Bachelor's Degree in Childcare awarded by a recognised body (Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications)
National Diploma in Childcare awarded by HETAC / IT
An equivalent social care qualification from another jurisdiction
the requisite knowledge and ability (including a high standard of suitability and ability) for the proper discharge of the duties of office
A candidate for and any person holding the office must be fully competent and capable of undertaking the duties attached to the office and be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
Each candidate for and any person holding the office must be of good character
Already Registered? Log in here
Join our Talent Pool + submit your application